Thursday, August 15, 2013

Days 64 and 65 Return to the good 'ole USA

Wednesday, August 14th

A complete map of our travels while in Canada 2013
The orange dots are places we stayed
Today, with an hour delay at the border, ( US customs agents were boarding EVERY motorhome ) we left Canada behind.  Although I would really like to go back and stay for a while ( or forever ) in Grand Manan Island, there is a big world out there, and we have not seen much of it. The saying  “Life is short” can really put everything  into perspective, so it is not too likely we will be returning.

Going through customs took over an hour as the agents
boarded EVERY RV. I wonder what they were looking for?


Our destination was Pumpkin Patch Campground in Hermon, Maine.  After we arrived I took the car and drove into Bangor to a Verizon store and they helped me change the internet service from Bell Atlantic to Verizon.  The traffic was crazy and I already yearned to retreat to any of those quiet sleepy towns we visited.

When I was at Pumpkin Patch in June, we ate at the little restaurant  there and I had THE BEST seafood chowder I had ever eaten!  I must have had 10 chowders throughout our trip, hoping to have another as delicious.  I have been dreaming of this chowder for more than 6 weeks!  No chowder came close to that epicurious delight, and I could not wait to go back and have it again!   It was absolutely horrible.  It had a heavy layer of butter floating across a chowder consisting of only fish- a lot of it, mind you, but over cooked and no flavor at all!  Gross.  I ate very little of it.  Such a disappointment.

My brother, who lives about 30 miles away, drove up with his friend and we had a wonderful evening, listening to family stories I had never heard before.  Steve is a great story teller.   It is so nice to visit with family. 

Thursday August  15, 2013
Nothing like paying $2.00 less per gallon to
put a smile on a man's face! ( especially when we get 7 MPG )


Today , well yesterday actually, is the beginning of a very busy time.  My daughter’s wedding is in a few days, and there is a lot of loose ends to take care.  As soon as I hit Massachusetts, I will take off running. 

We arrived back in Minuteman Campground in Littleton Mass so this will be our “base camp” for the next 4 days.  I will be staying with my daughter on Friday evening when her fiancĂ© goes to stay with family ( a popular tradition that the groom not see the bride on the big day ), so I packed my things, got organized, and ready to leave in the morning.

Our campsite this time was certainly flat and roomy, but was across from the pool and next to two HUGE propane tanks whose odors I was highly allergic to.  Thank goodness two of the nights I would not be there! 

I ran to the grocery store which was 3 miles away, and the GPS took me on a 30 mile sightseeing adventure during rush hour!  I very nearly threw it into a pond I was passing while driving on a very small, winding back road. The speed limit was only 10 MPH, so I would have had plenty of opportunity to relieve my frustration as I watched it splash! 

We had a quiet evening feeding the mosquitoes as we ate dinner.  We had a campfire for a little while, but were concerned about too much blood loss, so we retreated to the comforts of the RV.


No comments:

Post a Comment