Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Days 56 and 57 Fundy National Park

Tuesday August 6th 2013

Once again, when we meet some really great neighbors,then it's time to move on. This time we move a couple of hours east, to Fundy National Park.

As we were getting read to depart St John, we had trouble with the lighting system on the car again. We decided we better not tow the car when people can't see the brake and indicator lights, so I had to drive the car separately until we could figure out what was going on. Luckily it was only about a 1 1/2 hour drive.  I have gotten spoiled being chauffeured all over eastern North America.

 We feel it is probably the "umbilical" cord between the car and the motorhome, but were not equipped to fix it.

I found this so peaceful.  I really miss the Northeast
As I drove along behind the motorhome, I looked around at this incredibly beautiful place.  The sky was a deep royal blue while the rolling farmland with freshly mowed fields were such a rich, vibrant green.

 In the past hour we left the rugged coastline with massive red cliffs falling to the sea, to now see majestic rolling hills dotted with cows, and those picturese red barns with silos. It reminds me of Vermont.
 I listened to the news for the first time in months.  What? Terrorist threat? Two young children killed by python? 13 baseball players suspended for doping?  I turned off the news, and went back into my lovely cocoon for just a while longer.

In the distance is the Bay of Fundy
 As we approached Fundy National Park, the rolling farmland turned back into heavily forested mountains.  As we climbed, I got a peek at a beautiful vista of the Bay of Fundy and Nova Scotia's cliffs on the other side of the bay!  I yearned for a place to pull off the road so I could drink this in for awhile, but I had to follow Norm and the RV. No vista-drinking for me today.

 After we arrived at the National park's campground at the Headquarters location and set up, I started to worry where we were ever going to get this problem fixed before we leave .  The thought of driving that crappy little car all the way to Boston did not thrill me.  Had I driven the RV just once in awhile over the past year, I would have had the option of letting Norm drive the car.  That will teach me!
A view of Fundy National Park that we never saw
due to the fog shrouding the cliffs.
I stole this picture from the internet. Someone had better weather.

I looked around the campsites and saw it!  Yes! A sight for sore eyes!  The rear end of another RVer working under the hood of his car!  With tools! I could tell that he probably was a summer resident here by the elaborate campsite amenities he had ( screen room, whirly gigs, lots of chairs and carpets out )  These people have a wealth of information about the area, we have learned.

I smoothed out my hair, checked the mirror and headed out.  ( I wasn't going to try to seduce him, just didn't want to scare him ).  I very innocently asked " excuse me, would you know of where we could go to get a little service?"

The shirtless "80 something" year old man  straightened and replied with a smile " nothing near here, what is your problem?"

I told him our troubles, and what we think it might be, and he told me he would be glad to come over with this voltage meter and see what's what!  I could not believe our good fortune!

What he didn't say was "when".  I thought mistakenly that he was coming right away - after all, he wiped his hands on his pants and looked around for what I thought might be his voltage meter. I ran back to tell Norm the good news.  Just sit tight.  He'll be right over.

Norm and I cancelled our afternoon plans and waited.  and waited.  and waited some more. Norm decided to go outside and read, I decided to pace, thinking maybe we should have just driven the hour to the service station, could have been faster. We have a mere 3 days at this incredible location!

After dinner, just before dark I strolled over where he was stretched out with his cocktail and asked if he managed to fix his car.  " no, but I have been thinking about yours"  ( that's good ) " and I will be over in just a bit".

Well, this wonderful savior of ours, took apart the plugs on the cord and discovered two wires had broken away, and fixed them.  This was great!  I nearly cried with joy, giving him a big hug and reminded myself it would be inappropriate to kiss the old guy!  He was beaming after the hug, and was very glad to accept Norm's offer of his revered beer "1772" from Prince Edward Island.

We didn't get to see the park this afternoon, but at least the problem was fixed, we learned something, and it only cost a beer! ( easy for me to say "only" - it wasn't my beer ).

Wednesday August 7th 2013

We were blessed with another gorgeous day!  After having quite a few bad ones, we by no means take these breathtaking days for granted!

This may not look like much, but we had to hit down
this hill, ( about 100 feet ) and over this brook!  I cheated and put my
ball closer to the edge of this drop off!  
Norm and I first decided to try our hand at the local mountain biking trails.  Now this is "mountain biking" as the term implies: In the mountains.  Norm did really well managing to get up and down each hill, but I was saving my knees by walking up a few.

After that rather exhausting, but short ride, we went to play a round at the golf course here in Fundy National Park.  A nine holer, really hilly but beautiful course.  We passed up the motorized golf carts and chose to strike out on foot.


We walked up, and looked out over the first fairway.  Yikes!  We were required to hit about 170 yards over a grassy ravine below.  That was the easy part.  Getting down there was another thing!

This is a very clever design, but boy, the cart
wants to get away from you!
         


They had incredibly steep stairs ( and a lot of them ); they had built a ramp on either side to put your cart wheels on in order to go down the steps.  Very clever, but boy you had to hold on!
Are they kidding?

No comments:

Post a Comment