Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 66 and 67- The "Big Day"

Friday August 16th 2013

This morning  Norm brought me to Marlbourgh so we could pick up a car rental there.  There will be hundreds of miles driven in the next three days,  so a bigger, more luxurious car would be a treat.  Also, since I will be with my daughter, it will allow Norman some “wheels” to play golf, visit friends, or whatever he would like to do.

My first order of business was to pick up my daughter Laura, and my other daughter who was here from Daytona Beach with her boyfriend for the wedding and go to her gown fitting.  Next was a very important hair appointment for me.  I don’t want to bore you will all the details, but let’s just say there was a lot of last minute running around.

Saturday  August 17th 2013



The big day!   Because my daughter’s wedding is being held clear across the state, I think it was more hectic than usual for the bride.

Laura and her sister had their hair done in the morning, while  Jen’s boyfriend picked up the bridal gown -  finishing at noontime.

We ran home, had lunch, and finished packing, picked up the flowers and took off within the hour.  We arrived at the Orchard Hotel, ( where we were all staying) in Williamstown, Ma  and checked in at 4:15, giving us all 45 minutes to get ready for a wedding!  Not nearly enough time!

After discussing who would ride with whom, we headed for the top of Mt. Greylock only 20 minutes late.  ( I really hate being late, and this disorganized . I was way out of my comfort zone, but I hoped I appeared outwardly calm ).   Well, perhaps my calling  out  “ 10 minutes !” like they do on the cooking challenge shows when she was not even dressed yet, might have incited a little panic among those getting ready) – including me.

 I could not find my dress anywhere, and thought I left it back in Peabody.( we found it hidden under Norm’s garment bag ). 

As we rushed off to the top of the mountain, Norman soon realized we had forgotten the flowers we had left at the front desk!  We quickly rushed back, and resumed our 30 minute drive up an incredibly steep and winding road to the top of Greylock Mountain,  and as we reached the top, I could not believe the view!

Remember this one?  Our view
from the top of a mountain?
Nothing!  

 No clouds, no fog, no wind, and with the sun starting to descend, it was simply breathtaking!  I could not believe their luck! How many times have we hiked to the top of a mountain to be greeted with a "white screen" of fog or cloud? More often, than not, I am afraid.







                                   Laura was absolutely stunning, and they made a beautiful couple as they became a family.  Tears of happiness were shed, several toasts were made, and pictures were taken as we happily witnessed this momentous occasion!

Sunday August 19th

The next morning the wedding group met for a lovely
breakfast out on the patio of the hotel before we all headed on our way to our homes.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten my very special pillow back
at Laura's house, so we had to drive an extra hour ( each way ) to pick it up. That long, three hour drive became 5 -
we really appreciated the better car.

Jen and her boyfriend, Phil, joined Norm and I joined the newlyweds as we all enjoyed take-out
pizza.  It was wonderful watching them bask in their post nuptial glow, relieving one of the most important days of their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment