Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 62- Totally charmed by Grand Manan Island, NB

Monday August 12, 2013

We set the alarm clock for the second time on this trip and woke up to one of the most perfect of days.  I was so excited!  An adventure! We drove 45 minutes to Black Harbor, NB to catch the ferry to Grand Manan Island.
Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick

We enjoyed the 1 ½ hour ferry ride, sighting seals, a couple of whales and porpoises. It was very cold and windy as we stood on the top deck looking at the sights.


Seals basking in the sun observed from the ferry
 I approached a couple who I noticed drive onto the ferry with a car loaded with bikes and kayaks. I wanted to ask these like minded folks what they were going to see and do on this island.  They were very friendly and said they have been escaping to this island for 3 weeks for the past 8 years. They told us where to go for the best hiking and views.  They also shared with us the name of the person whose house they rent! 
Spotted another Bald Eagle


 We chatted for the remainder of the trip and learned not only about Gran Manan Island, but about camping in Everglades National Park in Florida as well!  We invited them to look us up next time they are “passing through” Florida.

The bird was saying
"Come live here with me !"




This is the house that
the couple we met on 
the ferry rent.  Nice!






After we disembarked we proceeded to take the nearest road, which lead us to a beautiful lighthouse.

Swallowtail Light and Grand Manan Ferry in background
 The day was warm, the breezes light, and I was in heaven!  I felt as if I had found the place where I was meant to be.  Perhaps it was just the weather, but boy, I was sure enjoying this place.  It was so ……quiet.  You could hear the birds sing and the breeze whisper. The island was calling to me....... come.... stay.....
Southwest Head cliffs


We pretty much drove the entire island, stopping many times to take pictures.  At the tip of the island the wind was so fierce; you had to be careful it didn't blow you over the cliff edge.  
Southwest Head Cliffs





We hiked a couple of miles along the cliff and marveled at the beauty.  I would REALLY like to come back and stay awhile. Norm thinks I am a little crazy.  He would get too bored. 
Now I have seen everything! 
Drive - in Church service? 


How could you get bored of this? 
We had a really terrible meal at a local restaurant, then boarded the ferry home.  We stayed up on deck where it was extremely cold and windy so we could enjoy the sunset. 

We arrived home about 10PM and went outside to watch the Perseids meteor showers we had heard about.  My perfect day ended with a shooting star! Norm, unfortunately, was not lucky enough to catch one.  We only had a small section of sky to watch for the showers, so we gave up and went inside. 





No comments:

Post a Comment