Sunday, July 22, 2012

Days 26-28 Forillon National Park

Thursday July 19th


After we packed up with the increased efficiency of a well-oiled machine, we were very excited to head toward Forillon National Park, at the most northeastern tip of the Gaspe Peninsula. Here we will get to do lots more outdoor stuff.  

We stopped along the way for provisions.  Fresh fish (yummm – definitely not like the fish you get in Florida), general groceries and the most important – gas. 

This part of Canada is very beautiful.  Little quaint coastal towns on the base of the mountains to our left, then on the opposite side of the street the mountain range shoots nearly straight up. The rock formations were fascinating - you could see where the earth moved millions of years ago - where’s a geologist when you need one?   I would love to know more, it fascinates me.

MapQuest told us it would be about a 3 hour easy ride, but in fact took us about 5 hours including our stop for lunch in the RV. It was so much more mountainous than we expected driving along the shore.  Norm was exhausted.  It was pretty unnerving to be driving down grades as steep 17 percent!  (That would be scary in a car – let alone an RV hauling a car).  The RV took it like a dream, although there were a couple of times our speed was reduced to 35mph during the insanely steep climbs.  We didn’t feel badly because we were passing some other trucks that were going even slower! It will be interesting to see our mileage on this leg of the trip with all those hills.
  
Rainy, but still beautiful
It was pouring rain when we arrived, but we quickly backed into our rather tight spot (first try) and set up.  This campsite was quite different in that it had lots of privacy.  You really could not see other campers either from the road or your site. Yeah! Not a parking lot!  Only the hoods of vehicles stuck out of the trees and bushes.  Very nice.  We had our fresh fish a l’orange, and played a game and went to bed.



Friday July 20th

See that tiny building at top of cliff?  We are going up THERE?
We woke up to a chilly (in the 50’s) day with a stiff wind and not a cloud in the sky.  After breakfast we headed out with our picnic lunches for a hike that was purported to be beautiful, according to our exhaustive internet research.   We arrived at the parking lot and I looked up - I mean WAY up, hurt your neck kind of up, and saw an observation tower.  I just could not imagine how anyone got up there! 
There must have been a forest fire observation deck or something.  Well, I was wrong again!  That was our destination.  All I could think was “you have GOT to be KIDDING!” Yikes!

Well, I stalled as much as I could then off we went!  It went about as straight up as it could get.  In fact there was about a mile stretch that they had to put wooded stairs in.  We both HATE stairs!  Up, up, up. I was so pleased that I really, for some miraculous reason, didn’t have much trouble at all! 
See where we parked in the bottom right hand corner?

We finally got to the top and were positively “wowed” by the view.  You can see in the picture the itsy bitsy parking lot down at the bottom.  See our car?   That was about the best reward for a torture hike we have had.  We decided to count the stairs going down and counted 475 stairs! (that we went up, then down).  Mind you, these stairs only accounted for about half of the elevation change.  The rest was normal uphill hiking.  And to think that we didn’t do a hike the other day because there was a gruesome 300 steps.  We’re not sissies anymore!

Another of the parking lot WAY down there!
By the time we reached the car I must admit I was dragging. After all, my hiking boots weigh 4 pounds that had to be dragged up those stairs, plus we both carried back packs.  (Norm carried more, of course). Norman said he felt pretty good, but it sure did not take him long to pass out on our new lawn chairs.   I relaxed and read, but I still am pretty pooped.  Hopefully I will feel re-newed by tomorrow for our bike ride.  The exercise portion of this trip has definitely kicked up a notch.
Norm riding along this coastal trail!
Saturday July 21

Well, all this new found exercise has caught up with me!   I woke up still pretty tired, but there were bike trails to be had!  Observation – the sun rises at 4:38 am – insanse!  There was one bike trail that went along the peninsula that you can see in the pictures; it looked like it would be pretty easy.  Wrong again!  My God, it went up and down these steep hills for miles. Even Norm was pretty exhausted and had to get off and walk!  I was certainly glad I opted for this “easy” trail first before we did the “hilly” one!  Remember the 17% grade roads we were on – well here we were again but on bikes!
View from hike to lower observation platform  
The views, again, were gorgeous.  We were so fortunate with the weather – another perfect day.  A little warm (near 80) no humidity, and the bluest sky I have ever seen! We hiked to the observation area – (oh, no - more stairs!) and proceeded to watch a couple of whales and seals just off the coast.

We’ve had various “sightings” of other wildlife over the last few days.  Of course the moose already mentioned, plus a fox ran right up behind me on the hiking trail yesterday!  I thought it was a person walking and as I stepped aside to let him pass, I saw this rather large and beautiful fox about 3 feet behind me!  He/she just cut into the woods, went down a little, and came back out on the trail ahead of us!  I knew we were starting to drag, but gee, I guess we were holding him up!   

Today we saw our first porcupine (that was not road kill).  A cute mother and baby eating right beside the trail!  Last but not least, as we were driving back to camp we saw a bear on the side of the road (thank goodness we were in the car).   I guess we should probably wear the “bear bells” I purchased when we hike/bike, since they obviously are in the parks.

We took most of the afternoon “off “ and just rested, read, cleaned house, etc.  Tonight’s meal was chicken cordon bleu (Norman cooked perfectly on the grill), grilled asparagus and forbidden rice.  Not bad for camping, eh?

Bear sighting!  Glad I was in the car!


Just like this! Right behind me!
(This is an internet photo )









No comments:

Post a Comment