Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Customs Paranoia


Having not felt well for the better part of two years, last year I opted to totally change my diet. So, working with a very knowledgeable nutritionist, I eliminated all alcohol, sugars and processed food, eating about 90% organic, and several specific, excellent quality probiotics.  Six months ago, I finally felt fabulous, plus I had the side benefit of losing 22 lbs.  Now when I continue to eat the right stuff, I can eat all I want, and struggle to keep weight on.
One of the big attractions for MY wanting an RV, was the ability to maintain my healthy eating routine. This has not been easy; after a long day of driving  there is nothing I would love more than a cocktail, or a cool glass of white wine! Especially when I watch others enjoy my “forbidden fruit“.  What about Norm, you ask?  Well, he eats what I eat at meals, but because he didn’t feel poorly, opted not to change his lifestyle.  Needless to say, I wanted to have with us plenty of grass-fed beef and organic chicken, plus we take a TON of supplements. I am convinced (and this was confirmed by an MD) that these are what are keeping me healthy.   I called the Canadian Customs Dept, and learned a lot.  Supplements are considered a “drug“ in Canada and I was told I would need a doctor’s order to have them.  Also they needed to be in their original bottle.  This was VERY disappointing, because I wanted to have them in little daily baggies.   Beef and chicken are okay to bring into Canada if they were in Cryovac bags with name of farm, etc. on it.  No Costco re-wrapped stuff.  You cannot bring fruit or vegetables, but you could have frozen vegetable soup,  but not chicken or beef soups.  Wow.
After calling several times, and getting several different answers, I decided to err on the side of caution and go with the worst case scenario. I shopped all around and got my organic meats and made vegetable soup to freeze.  Kept all supplements in their bottles.  Freezer’s full, list from professional - check.
As we approached the Custom’s check- point, I must admit, I felt a little nervous.  We hoped we would not be there for hours going thru possible “contraband”.  Well, as we drove up to the window, Norm said hello, the agent asked how long we were going to be in Canada, did we have any tobacco or firearms, and have a nice day!  I felt so ripped off!  I was READY!  (grateful, mind you, but disappointed, in a sick-sort-of-way).  Well, now that that is behind us, off we go!  It’s a gorgeous day, tanks are full - life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you two can act a little suspicious if you REALLY want to "show" your RV to some customs agents! LOL There's always next time! :)

    ReplyDelete