Sunday, September 9, 2012

Day 69- Highland Links Golf Course ( by Norman)


 Friday August 31st

Highland Links Golf Course – Ingonish Nova Scotia

(Built in 1936 by renowned golf course designer Stanley Thompson.  Ranked by several writers as being in the top 100 courses in the world.  The layout of the course was intended by Thompson to replicate several classic holes of various Scottish courses.)


With this as the background information I had found, I was eagerly waiting to play this course.  Last week I had played with a couple who had just played here and they were disappointed because it was not a true “links style” course as advertised.  Well – I’ve only played a links course once in my life, so this aspect was of no particular importance to me.

The weather called for 30% chance of rain with moderate wind.  Alison dropped me off and I checked in to see who I would be paired with.  Good news.  A couple of locals, one with his wife.  I was told they would probably be walking, so I arranged for a pull cart.  Soon enough they showed up to play.  The wife was driving in a cart but her husband and the other guy would be walking.  Serious golfers!  Turns out they are members here.  I discovered later in the round that they are both retired professors.  One was from Ohio but spent his academic career as a psychology professor in Maryland.  The other guy was a history professor.  But not just a run of the mill history professor.  He was the foremost expert on all things Nova Scotia.  His roots went back to the 1600’s and several generations of his family once lived on the very grounds where we were playing this round. Additionally, he was the senior historian for Fortress Louisburg which we had visited early on in our trip.  Alison & I were overwhelmed with the degree to which they had recreated life back in the 1700’s at this major reconstruction venue.  Turns out this guy had an office at the site for several years while they were pouring through over 750,000 documents to gather the relevant information for the rebuilding of the fort.




Within a few minutes of starting to play, the skies opened up.  There was no reaction from these guys so I asked what they thought the rest of the day would be like.  They just chuckled and said this was routine weather for them and that it would likely come and go all day.  They hit it dead on – sporadic light showers for the first several holes and then the clouds were gone.  I guess the wife was just along for the ride; she stopped playing after about 5 holes.  I think she felt uncomfortable that I had joined them.

The course itself was a bit of a disappointment because I had intentionally been picking courses for their scenic beauty. Although there were nice mountains in the background, there was none of the seascapes or wild rivers that I had enjoyed at earlier courses.  Each hole had a lot of character though.  Lots of twists and turns, up and over hills to blind greens.  Fairways and greens were in great condition.  If you hit off of the fairway – good luck!  Several feet of foot tall grasses lead right into thick brush and trees.  The first 6 holes were played straight into the wind.  I managed to squeak out 6 pars but this was more than offset by some challenging holes.  One in particular had my approach shot go into a deep greenside bunker.  Four attempts later, I was on the green and a foot from the hole.  Oh well.

Overall, I was glad to have played this course even at what I consider an overpriced rate of $102.  Many of the more difficult courses are not necessarily the most scenic.  This is the first time I had walked a course in a couple of years and I was beat.  It seemed as though almost every hole had significant elevation changes and many tee boxes were quite a distance from the last green.  One in particular was ¼ mile walk along a river bank that is purportedly the most scenic walk from a green to the next tee box of any course in the world.  A nice walk, but I wasn’t that impressed.  I guess I was getting too tired of walking at that point.



No comments:

Post a Comment