Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 63 - Last day at Gros Morne


Saturday August 25th

Oh, our last day here at Gros Morne!  I felt fine, and the forecast of 100% sunshine (although it was sprinkling) we headed off for what was touted “the biggest bang for your energy buck”, The Green Garden’s hike.

This was a six mile hike that would start out in the moonlike Tablelands terrain, then climb to a lush evergreen forest, then end up on the beach where there was lava rock, sea stacks and sea caves. The park rangers said “it’s a bit steep on the way back”.  Ok, a bit longer distance than I prefer, but certainly doable – we will pack a lunch!

We started in the Tablelands landscape

We trudged along enjoying the weather that turned sunny, and I was busy looking at all the fabulous rocks trying to remember what I had been learning (yeah,right). The trail rose up, then down into a valley, then up again.  There were a lot of stairs, but it didn’t seem so bad; after all, we were going down.
Enjoyed the alpine scenery
Then into the wooded area.......
The scenery was great and then we finally hit the beach! Wow! They had primitive tent sites right there on the ocean!  Oh, I wish I were up to carrying our tent! (what I really wish is to have someone ELSE carry my stuff in).
 



Ahh... the beach is in sight!


We went down about 80 stairs to the beach and marveled at the cliffs and noted the lava rock covered by seaweed. We timed the walk intentionally to arrive there at low tide so we could walk down the beach to the sea caves.  What we were not told is that you had to climb over these wet seaweed covered rocks!  Norm quickly headed for the caves at breakneck speed, and I almost broke my neck as I slipped and my hiking boot clad foot went knee deep in the water!  Yuck!  I hate wet socks!  I was horrified at the thought of the long hike back with a sopping wet boot.  Plus, the stupid thing weighs 2 pounds dry and I just added all that water weight.  Great.  I sat on the rocks and poured out the water, rung out my sock and hoped for the best, and no blisters.  That will teach me for not being a good Girl Scout and bringing an extra pair of socks!
 
Norm checked out the sea caves, which were disappointing, and I met up with him to pick our way over the rocks back to the stairs.  We had lunch, and when I could stall no longer, we headed back the way we came.  Oh my.  What a grueling climb! 535 stairs, plus a tremendous amount of very steep inclines on the trail without stairs, for a total of 740 feet of elevation change. (Think a 70 story building.) “Bit steep?”   Once we had completed  the stair climbing, I was fine; then happily, and surprisingly not that tired, we walked the rest of the way through the varying landscape.  Norm, of course, didn't have any trouble (that he would admit).  Not fair! Regardless, I was very proud of myself (and Norm was too) of my completing the very arduous hike!
 
Climbing over rocks at low tide to view sea caves

 
I must again make note, that when people ask if we climbed Gros Morne, they not only are very impressed that Norm actually made the climb, but that he did this 6-8 hour (some take 10) hour hike in just 5 ½ hours! And he chose to ascend the extremely steep side where others opt to go around and up the less severe backside.
 
I just had to show you this strange rock I found jammed
into the other rocks.  Boy, I struggled to get this out of there!
It was the only white rock around! Wierd
We returned home, packed up the outside items in order to be ready to leave in the morning, had dinner, watched a movie (that’s all the energy I could muster) and went to bed. 








No comments:

Post a Comment